Learnings | Dyeing Teal with Brown, BTS Car Coat, Paynes Grey workaround
Late learnings:
In dyeing my own cotton jersey fabric, I changed teal into an elegant dark teal (almost navy) by adding a shade of brown. Teal also changed into pretty much a navy (a green slant of navy) by adding a dark blue-grey. I have been experimenting with procion and direct dyes. The best, and free resource is www.pburch.net by Paula Burch. I donated to her today because her site's methodical insight is so informative. Information said straight. There is too much on the market to confuse the poor beginner. Her site does require you have a very basic understanding of chemistry. She's a super smart person and so generous to host a website dedicated to the ins and outs of hand dyeing. I wish she had a book I could simply buy. Super happy with the outcome of the dye. Teal somehow makes me feel gross, but the outcomes are so elegant. One of them looks like Alabama Chanin's colour peacock, which I love. I have also caught onto using fixatives for the dye process.
In stitching the Alabama Chanin car coat using the tartan stencil method I have found that the panels do shrink slightly - because of the way the running stitches kind of gather the fabric and cause it to have a wavy texture between each row/line of running stitch. I enjoy the visual effect, but didn't know it shrank the fabric, until I went to check it against the original pattern. No problem for this enormously oversized jumper. Something to keep in mind for future if embroidering the entire garment.
In paint mixing for the leaves of my factory dress, I saw that mixing Prussian blue + burnt sienna is a way of making a deeper shade of blue. Apparently both those colours are bases for paynes grey.

