Hand dyes to achieve Alabama Chanin ochre/peacock colours


Pretty happy with the result.  Still the phone camera doesn't capture the goldenness of the ochre, and I think the peacock is a little over saturated in the photo.  But just awesome.  Only a few metres of these and results like this help me believe that I'm getting the hang of it.  Everything is a continual process for me.  Creating one garment means I'm learning about colour mixing, pattern drafting, and so many other things.  I have definitely not pumped out any products.  When it takes so long to make, I do let ideas sit for a long time before I go for it.

The peacock was supremely difficult to dye (original colour teal).  I think it has something to do with the fabric.  It feels like 100% cotton but I just wonder if there's a percentage that is not.  I don't know for sure. I did a burn test on it, but I'm not an expert.  It was dyed with both gunmetal idye and a procion dye (brown shade) that I mixed myself, from colours I bought that were not good for me at all.  Happy way to use up bad shades.

Something I do know about dyeing is that linen is way more difficult to dye than cotton.  This was true of my experience/frustration, but also something I found out in very short messages to the Jacquard company.  I asked them why their idye fixative product had such huge range of fabric-weight-capable-of-fixing listed on its instructions.  They took longer to get back than usual, but that was because they had to check with their chemist.  Cotton is an easy fabric to dye.  It requires the least amount of fixative.  Linen requires the most.

With the current global pandemic, stocks and what not are globally a bit whacky, and it looks like I won't really be able to get the same fixative anymore unless I feel like paying a bomb.  Luckily I have some spare and you know what? Life's going to be alright with or without products to make.

Popular Posts