copied vs coping | what is original?
![]() |
| No secret about bustier and corset shapes, this has been around for ages. |
As mentioned before I don't know what people exactly are saying when they say things are copied. Photo of book on cutting and draping party and evening wear shows a classic bustier cut that looks a lot like the AC corset tank top/singlet, which I heard them say has been ripped by other designers. Everybody is copying everybody? Copying is no issue until it is stealing somebody's income/brand/reputation and that person wants to protect it. In the recent years corset dresses have been coming out on the market again in droves. How original are we all? Don't we need each other's ideas for development? Imo, I enjoy a fantastic AC design. I only bother recreating it, these days, if it's fun or classic or both. I have all their books, sat through all their digital schools on Craftsy. Their earlier give/output to the world was more generous and - as communities often do - imo in more recent times tightened up on their generosity and up'ed their protective arm. Their call. Much of the skillsets have been open sourced and one can continue self learning, mimicking, improving, experimenting and downright copying their stuff if one wishes (for own purposes). Why make an inferior version when you can make the ultimate, if AC's created the ultimate? Why settle for their school's version if you can recreate their magazine worthy work which sells for thousands?




