Fabric covered snap buttons | instructions
![]() |
| Start with enlarging a hole from any tool In this case I used the ruler's blunt-pointy edge Do not cut hole in the jersey; just enlarge a gap |
![]() |
| Snap button attachment direction These snaps are roughly 13-14mm I wouldn't go past 15mm for Alabama Chanin garments |
The "female" snap is sewn on the inner of the garment. This means that the stitching will show on the outer of the garment. For the tartan stencil, it does matter the direction that you attach the snap (both of them, but particularly the female). I wanted the lines of stitching to be square with the squares. Not all over the place in a random fashion. I would imagine this matter for a plain garment as well, when the stitches are really obvious. You can also make sure the stitches form a neat square, a closed square polygon, not stitches that go everywhere. I needed to make sure the stitches looked good because they are visible.
The "male" snap is sewn on the outer of the garment because it's the one that can be covered by fabric, and therefore more subtle.
Surely I am not the only one who thinks the concept of "male" and "female" buttons... is a strange way to describe things? We might as well call them vagina snaps and penis snaps? People run those terminologies off their tongues like it's not even worth giggling about anymore. How about the terms concave and convex?






