Behind the seams | twilight skirt notes
Finally found this colour fabric in last remains of L and M men's singlets. Background fabric called twilight, which is a blend of dusty teal, green blue grey. Will be recreating this exact cut, having selvaged the skirt together from different parts of the singlets. Figure the seams won't be obvious since this is a pretty loud skirt, toned down by the subdued colours. Somehow, I can't get past this cut and colour scheme. A.C. doesn't really jump out at a lot of people, almost nobody that I know. But those who share the same aesthetic really seem to like this colour combo. It seems to have been quite a desired one. I think it's great on this cut. I think it's great that people also don't notice it much.
Pansy stencil is DIY version which I made from photos available.
Paint on the navy fabric is not totally gold. Found the combination to be mostly gold + burnt umber + white. Start with the (semco less bright) gold, then add bits of burnt umber and white till the colour is right.
Twilight, the colour, looks greenly or greenier, because it's being paired with navy. By itself you could think it's dusty blue.
Currently the navy I'm using is not great quality jersey. Because I can see pilling-ish after the first wash. But no matter. Most of it is painted anyway. Much of it is cut out. It's going to curl and roll etc. It's not a big deal.
Washing the newly painted fabric before sewing
Paint, even if airbrushed, makes the fabric stiff. It is a real pain for the hand. So this time I thought, why not wash the thing to soften it. So I did. I heat set it in the oven (10 minutes of just blasting the oven from 0C to around 130C and then switched it off and let it cool. Maybe it was in there for an hour) then I chucked it in the washing machine. So it's already been washed twice; once before paint applied, once after paint applied. The hand sewing is so much easier.

