Homemade Tony stencil | Cropped Car Coat #2

Alabama Chanin cropped car coat
Tony stencil DIY

AC teaches to paint the stencil onto the backing fabric and paint the stencil onto the appliqué fabric then cut out one by one and apply piece by piece.

Progress:  It's easier to whip stitch all the shapes from top layer fabric around then cut off the excess fabric very near the whip stitch edge.  You can virtually do it right on the edge.  I have not accidentally snipped a stitch at all.  Probably has to do with using a pair of scissors that really works on this particular task, which are common enough.  Just small, sharp and don't have a full on sharp pointy tip that has the potential to pick up on nearly every thing.  I have completed around four panels already.

I found that my prescribed technique is way faster.  I also did not even use paint at all.  This is done by tracing the stencil shapes onto the fabric.  This is fast for a stencil that has big large shapes like this Tony stencil but I would imagine it is cumbersome for something like Anna's Garden.  In fact, I think it was even faster than airbrushing, especially when you consider all the set up and clean up involved (so many steps...spray adhesive, getting the paint colour right, unclogging the air brush gun from time to time, repositioning a sticky stencil onto fabric to get the right alignment Tony stencil which has a definite direction, clean up...etc. etc).

It's also easy to readjust the position of the shapes where necessary.  Sometimes the two fabric layers have not lined up.  I have checked this panel against the original paper template and made sure the backing layer is the correct size.  My appliqué layer, on this panel, did a few funky things, but I just reshaped the appliqué shapes or repositioned them manually as I saw fit.  There's flexibility here.

Will be adding another layer underneath for the completed garment to give garment bulk.

Popular Posts