Giraffe Car Coat #4 | Tony Stencil by Alabama Chanin
![]() |
| Tripled layered car coat in cream, plus another additional layer for the whip stitched Tony stencil. I liked Tony better than the Abstract stencil offered to their #tsom, so I made my own. |
Material cost breakdown
- 2m of natural/unbleached cotton jersey from Joelle's Outlet @ $4 per one layer of Cropped Car Coat = $16
- 2.5x men's natural/unbleached shirts @ $5 each on clearance = $12.50
- 2x men's khaki/ochre shirts @5 each on clearance = $10
- Polycotton corespun thread estimate = $5
Total = $43.50 today, or multiply by 0.71 today to convert to USD. So not exactly cheap but to me still super fun even if I got so bored halfway I left it on the shelf for eight months. But that gave me time to experiment and improve all sorts of construction techniques, solidify working with at least three layers, etc. And also, as I tried doing some shopping I find way too many problems that it's still worth making clothes at home (a) because of the price they charge for something I consider quality (ii) that women's clothing is highly competitive in my size and I just wouldn't pay those prices while it's within reach for me diy. The ability to customise, change your mind, re-customise is wonderful. I can put as much quality in to it as you want and it's not hard to surpass major mainstream brands. And I enjoy wearing what I make because I'm learning what does the job. Anyway, it's just my thing; my natural fav skill to play around with.


